Wednesday 7 November 2007

Shaggy-Intoxication




We all remember Shaggy from his 2000 album Hot Shot, featuring the two massive singles "It Wasn't Me" and the crooning "Angel". This was the album for 2000, and eventually ended up in the number one position on Billboard Hot 100. It is also one of the best selling "reggae" albums of all time.


Hard-core fans will also remember his earlier hit "Boombastic" in 1995. But since Hot Shot, none of his other album releases have had the same sucess. I wish that I could say his new album was a bona-fide hit, with every track a sucess. But I can't.
The album does shine in a few places, but there aren't any songs that really grab me. A few are worth buying as singles , such as "Bonafide Girl" featuring Rik Rok and Tony Gold. It's catchy and Rik Rok, a frequent collaborator, shines. Shaggy's vocals on this track are catchy, and a return to his Shabba Ranks-like flow. Another sucessful track "Mad Mad World" features the unlikely collaboration of Collie Buddz and Sizzla Kalonji. It works, and shows Shaggy's lyrics at their best. The two guest artist are effective, and help to expand the track.
I can't really say much about this album. Shaggy is trying to mix his former ragga style (as found on Boombastic) with his more pop-orientated material (as found on Hot Shot), and it doesn't really work. It's not a bass-heavy dancehall, or a soft pop album. When I first listened to it, I found myself continously wishing it going to be the same relaxed style as found on Hot Shot.
In some places, like the rather abysmal "All About Love", Shaggy even tries to do a roots song, in the style of I-Wayne or Sizzla, but it just becomes repetitive. It falls through both the niches it is trying to fill, and is not the cross-over album it is trying to be. The production is too hectic, showing that Shaggy is trying to appeal to everyone, and failing miserably. It is too electic and is a waste of time and money.
I will upload the two sucessful tracks, and tell me what you think:


No comments: