Tuesday 1 April 2008

Langhorne Slim-Jack Johnson meets Johnny Cash




So on the more indie side of things, I'd like to bring your attention to the "new kid on the block".


I'm not really into describing an artist as "______ " meets "______". Actually, I lie. It breaks it down and I always use it. And in this case, I think I'm right. Langhorne Slim has the laid-back side of Jack Johnson, with the biting country sounds of the "Man In Black", Mr. JR Cash.


Slim was brought to my attention by the almighty Bermuda powerhouse, Volcanic Productions. They produced a series called "Live In The Gardens", featuring artists like emerging NYC hip-hop duo Smash Mechanics, and Langhorne himself. Unfortunately, I missed the Brooklyn folk artist, but the first thing I did was check him out.


Wow! This guy knows how to do things. After featuring on Letterman Live (see the video on YouTube), he is sure to skyrocket. This chilled out, acoustic brand of country-folk just works well, and I really enjoy putting on one of his tunes after a long day. The backing of drums and double bass from his band, the War Eagles adds an extra layer to this stripped-down folk rock. I can't really describe it, but I urge you to listen to Langhorne's stuff. As for me, I just want to bring new talent to the forefront of the industry. Daytrotter got there first, though, and thankfully Langhorne teamed up with his band the War Eagles to produce his own version of the legendary Daytrotter session. Check it out, please, and download some tracks.


However, I'm gonna put some of Langhorne's work up on this site. "Sweet Olive Tree" is a simple country song, buoyed by the soaring vocals of Slim himself. It is truly beautiful. On "Rebel Side of Heaven" takes a route to more rock, with keyboards and horns, blended together seamlessly.

Just listen, enjoy, and spread the word. The eponymous full album drops on April 29th.







1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hello. This post is likeable, and your blog is very interesting, congratulations :-). I will add in my blogroll =). If possible gives a last there on my blog, it is about the Câmera Digital, I hope you enjoy. The address is http://camera-fotografica-digital.blogspot.com. A hug.