Sunday 14 October 2007

Curtis-why it should go back on the shelf...




50 Cent and I. Not exactly a match made in heaven. Although its true to say that his first album Get Rich Or Die Tryin' took the music world by storm, it didn't quite win me over. Ok, there were the few tracks that everyone must have, if not just for playing at a party. Songs like 21 Questions, Wanksta, and the ubiquitous In Da Club were a least catchy, due to the hooks and the production work by the legendary Dr. Dre and Eminem. But the attraction, at least for me, ended there. The 6.5 million who bought it seem to disagree, as does the six weeks it spent on the Billboard 200 chart. It wasn't what I was looking for


However, after the song Hustler's Ambition was released along with the soundtrack to the film Get Rich or Die Tryin' (which was also the biggest mistake in Terrence Howard's career), I thought maybe "Fiddy" had changed his ways, and stopped rapping about his street cred, and moved on to a slightly different sound. I liked it.


In comes his new album Curtis. The first single Ayo Technology featuring production by Timbaland and vocals by Justin Timberlake was alright, set aside by its beat, which is amazing. However, this single is just about all the album has to offer. Songs like I'll Still Kill f(featuring the annoying Akon) just show that 50 thinks he is the best. Sadly, Mr. Cent, you are wrong. Your sameness has been your death, in my view. You choose to rhyme about the "hood" which I'm sure you haven't been back to since your first million. You are no longer a drug dealer of ill repute. This is just another album for the trashcan, despite the production work. All the songs speak on the same thing, either his wealth, or his street credit. It's not worth the money, but who knows, maybe I'll learn to like it. But still, no wonders how it was outsold by Graduation.
I'll put the albums best song on the blog, for your listening pleasure


No comments: